Solaris 8 System Administrator 310-011 Training
This online training series provides comprehensive coverage of Solaris 8 system administration; it is designed to help users prepare for the Sun Certified System Administrator for Solaris 8 Operating Environment, Part I exam. It covers basic topics such as installation methods, the boot process, and system shut down. The OpenBoot environment and architecture are discussed, along with the use of user and group logon accounts, and software package administration. System security and protection of data is covered, including remote connection. An introduction to Solaris processes and their management is provided, and file systems, files, and directories are covered in detail. Additional topics covered in this series include disk configuration, backup and recovery, the viEditor, shell programming, and print administration. The series concludes with a practice exam that helps the user self-assess readiness for the certification exam.
This Solaris 8 System Administrator 310-011 online training series provides 31 hours of self-paced courseware. This web-based training provides 1 year of unlimited access to all of the following lessons:
1 . Installation, Initialization, and Shutdown
2 . The Boot Process and Boot PROM
3 . User and Software Package Administration
4 . System Security and Remote Connection
5 . Process Control
6 . File Systems, Files, and Directories
7 . Disk Configuration
8 . Backup and Recovery
9 . vi Editor and Command Syntax
10 . LP Print Service
11 . Practice Exam
Installation, Initialization, and Shutdown
This course provides an introduction to Solaris system administration terms and commands. It describes the various system configurations and the installation of the Solaris operating system on a workstation. It also provides an overview of the hardware and the operating system functions required to bring the system to a running state, and the steps required to properly shut down the system.
- Selected system administrator terms
- Requirements and preparation for installation
- Software and configuration clusters
- System configuration to be installed
- Disk storage systems
- Device drivers
- Installing the Solaris 8 software
- Power on and booting the system
- System run states
- Init phase
- Stopping and starting services with control scripts
- System shutdown
The Boot Process and Boot PROM
This course provides a general overview of the startup process, presents an introduction to OpenBoot, and gives specifics on /sbin/init, run levels, and run control scripts. Specific details on the OpenBoot firmware and kernel loading are also included.
- OpenBoot environment
- OpenBoot architecture
- OpenBoot interface
- PROM full device names
- OpenBoot device aliases
- OpenBoot non-volatile RAM (NVRAM)
- OpenBoot security
- OpenBoot diagnostics
- Input and output control
User and Software Package Administration
This course explains the use of user and group login accounts, and shows how to add and remove additional applications after the operating system has already been installed.
- Adding user accounts with Admintool
- Managing user accounts with Admintool
- Managing users from the command line
- User initialization files
- Home directories and name services
- Managing software
- Listing and spooling software packages
- Adding and removing software
- Software patches
System Security and Remote Connection
This course shows how to protect data against loss due to a disaster, system failure, or intrusion. Topics include permissions, access control lists, auditing, network security, and controlling remote access to the system.
- Physical security
- Controlling system access
- Storing user account information
- Controlling file access
- Permission schemes for user and group IDs
- Access Control Lists (ACLs)
- Managing ACL entries
- Setting path and identification permission
- Monitoring users and system usage
- Obtaining login information
- Using firewalls and securing network services
- Other network security methods
- Remote system operations and the trusted host
- Restricting FTP
- Restricting root access
- Monitoring superuser access
- Automated Security Enhancement Tool (ASET)
This course provides an introduction to Solaris processes, and shows how to view processes, understand the effects signals have on processes, and manage processes.
- Viewing a process
- The pgrep and prstat commands
- Process Manager
- Using signals
- Scheduling processes
- The crontab command
- The at command
- syslog and other logs
File Systems, Files, and Directories
This course introduces the Solaris file systems, and explains the fundamentals of disk drives and their geometry and how Solaris uses a disk for file storage through its file systems. The management of Solaris file systems and disk space usage is also discussed.
- A file system defined
- Solaris file system types
- Disk slices
- Creating slices with the format utility
- Parts of a UFS file system
- Creating a UFS file system
- Custom file system parameters
- File system operations
- Mounting file systems
- Displaying mounted file systems
- Constructing a file system
- Tuning file systems
- Options for mounting a file system
- Unmounting a file system
- Volume Manager
- Modifying devices with the Volume Manager
- Troubleshooting media devices
- Information on file systems
This course shows how to add, remove, and manage peripheral devices such as tape drives, disk drives, printers, and modems, as well as how to add a third-party device driver. Disk device naming conventions and administration are also covered.
- Device drivers
- Physical device names
- Device auto-configuration
- Instance names
- Transparent configurations
- Major and minor device numbers
- Logical device names
- Virtual volume management
- Metadevices and drivers
- StorEdge Volume Manager
Backup and Recovery
This course explains the types of backups, the methods available for performing a backup, the importance of developing a solid backup strategy, and how to restore data if a loss is encountered.
- Backup media and utilities
- The tar command
- The dd command
- The cpio command
- The pax command
- The ufsdump command
- The ufsrestore command
- Recovering file systems
vi Editor and Command Syntax
This course describes the use of the vi Editor in Solaris 8 system administration, and provides an introduction to shell programming.
- vi Editor
- Shell script basics
- Selecting a shell to use
- Bourne shell variables
- Bourne shell built-ins and conditionals
- The if and case conditionals
- Repeated-action commands and functions
LP Print Service
This course describes how to set up local printers, set up access to remote printers, and perform printer administration tasks using the Admintool GUI or the command line. It also examines the hardware and configuration issues involved in connecting a printer to a Solaris system.
- The Solaris LP print service
- The print spooler and LP daemons
- Printer hardware
- Printer software
- Print servers
- Creating printer classes
- Managing printers with GUI tools
- Routine printer tasks
- Checking printer status
- Managing user access to printers
- Managing printer queues
This course provides practice questions to help the user self-assess readiness for the Sun Certified System Administrator for Solaris 8 Operating Environment, Part I exam, as well as gain familiarity with the exam format.
- System concepts
- The boot PROM
- Initialization and shutdown
- User administration
- Process control
- File systems
- Files and directories
- The boot process
- Disk configuration
- Backup and recovery
- Basic command syntax
Solaris 8 System Administrator 310-011
This online training series is for anyone preparing for the Sun Certified System Administrator for Solaris 8 Operating Environment, Part I exam; or anyone who is interested in learning more about Solaris 8 system administration.
- Simulations teach learners to perform specific tasks in applications through guided, multi-step exercises.
- Activities allow learners to apply course concepts in an interactive questioning environment.
- Exercises allow learners to practice in the actual application being studied.
- A Course Topics list contains active hyperlinks, permitting quick access to specific topics.
- Find-A-Word allows learners to look up an unfamiliar term in the Glossary, on the Web, or in a dictionary. In addition, it lets them find other occurrences of the term in the same course.
- Search text enables learners to rapidly search all text within a course to easily retrieve information required.
- Courses challenge the learner with a variety of question formats, including multi-step simulations, true/false, multiple choice, and fill-in-the-blank.
- A skill assessment generates a customized learning path based on the results of a pre-test.
- A glossary provides a reference for definitions of unfamiliar terms.
- Bookmarking tracks the learner's progress in a course.
- Internet connection
- Browser: Internet Explorer, FireFox, Chrome, Safari, Opera or any standards compliant browser.
- Authorware and Macromedia Flash player recommended but not required.
What You Get:
You will receive Unlimited Access to all of the Solaris 8 System Administrator 310-011 training tutorials listed above. Your online training courses will be available from anywhere you have internet access.This e-learning series includes all of the online training tutorials listed and is provided in an interactive, self-paced format. Retake any or all of our computer training as often as you want. Our online tutorials allow you to learn anywhere, anytime from any computer with internet access. All courses allow for 1 year unlimited access (1 user), include a variety of features and qualify for Continuing Education Unit credit.
StaffKit is a leader in providing online computer training tutorials and online education. We have customers use our online training courses in over 75 countries. StaffKit has been providing e-learning solutions for 10 years.
Web-Based Training Products:
Solaris 8 System Administrator 310-011 Online Training Series
You might also be interested in our Technical Package which includes all of the Solaris 8 System Administrator 310-011 training courses listed above plus hundreds of hours of related online training courses