RPG IV Programming Training
This online training series introduces the users to RPG IV, the popular AS/400 and iSeries programming language. The users will learn about the history of the language, RPG IV specifications, file access and manipulation. After completing the courses in this series, the users will be able to write RPG IV programs using structured design and modular programming concepts.
This RPG IV Programming online training series provides 38 hours of self-paced courseware. This web-based training provides 1 year of unlimited access to all of the following lessons:
1 . Introduction to RPG
2 . Getting Started with RPG
3 . Defining Data
4 . Arithmetic Operations
5 . Flow of Control
6 . Externally Described Files
7 . File Access and Record Manipulation
8 . Interactive Applications
9 . Tables and Arrays
10 . Modular Programming
11 . Advanced Data Definition
12 . Advanced Techniques
13 . Maintaining the Past
Introduction to RPG
This course provides an overview of the RPG programming language and general programming concepts needed to begin learning to program in RPG IV.
- History of RPG
- Variables and Data
- Beginning Program Entry
- Completing Program Entry and Testing
Getting Started with RPG
This course shows users how to write simple programs in RPG IV.
- Program File Specifications
- Program Input Specifications
- Program Output Specifications
- Program Calculation Specifications
- RPG IV Output Editing
This course shows users how to define work fields, data structures, and other data items in RPG IV programs.
- Definition Specifications
- Data Types and Constants
- Data Structures
This course shows users how to perform arithmetic calculations in RPG IV programs.
- Numbers and Arithmetic
- Defining Field Sizes
- Example Program
- Assignment and Conversion
- Functions, Operations, and Indicators
Flow of Control
This course shows users how to write programs in RPG IV using top-down, structured design.
- Structured Program Design
- SELECT and Iteration
- Early Exits and Subroutines
- Creating a Report with Subtotals
Externally Described Files
This course shows users how to write programs in RPG IV to access AS/400 database files.
- Physical Files
- Logical Files
- Creating and Using Database Files
- Printer Files
File Access and Record Manipulation
This course shows users how to read, write, and update records in RPG IV programs.
- Sequential Input Access
- Random Input Access
- Output Access
- Handling I/O Errors
This course shows users how to define display files and how to use them to develop interactive applications.
- Display Files
- DDS Keywords
- Data Validation and Indicators
- File Maintenance
Tables and Arrays
This course shows users how to create, store, and access tables, and how to define and use arrays.
- Using Tables
- Using Related Tables
- Defining Arrays
- Accessing Array Data
This course shows users how RPG IV programs can communicate with one another by passing data values.
- Introduction to Modular Programming
- Data and Procedures
- Prototypes and APIs
- Data Areas
Advanced Data Definition
This course shows users how to use a number of advanced RPG IV features to define data in ways that facilitate data manipulation.
- Data Types
- LIKE and Data Structures
- More Data Structures
- Field Inspection
- Character Field Inspection
- Field Character Manipulation
This course shows users how to write RPG IV programs that use subfiles and online help.
- Interactive Programs
- Loading the Subfile a Page at a Time
- Using Subfiles
Maintaining the Past
This course shows users how to recognize features and operations used extensively in earlier versions of RPG that are now considered obsolete but still supported.
- RPG III Differences
- More RPG III Differences
- RPG II Initial Look
- RPG II Differences
- More RPG II Differences
RPG IV Programming
This online training series is for programmers who will be writing programs in RPG IV.
- Simulations teach learners to perform specific tasks in applications through guided, multi-step exercises.
- Exercises allow learners to practice in the actual application being studied.
- Supplied sample files include sample documents, application files, programs, and programming code that enable learners to practice with these files, enhancing the learning experience.
- A Course Topics list contains active hyperlinks, permitting quick access to specific topics.
- Find-A-Word allows learners to look up an unfamiliar term in the Glossary, on the Web, or in a dictionary. In addition, it lets them find other occurrences of the term in the same course.
- Search text enables learners to rapidly search all text within a course to easily retrieve information required.
- Courses challenge the learner with a variety of question formats, including multi-step simulations, true/false, multiple choice, and fill-in-the-blank.
- A skill assessment generates a customized learning path based on the results of a pre-test.
- A glossary provides a reference for definitions of unfamiliar terms.
- Bookmarking tracks the learner's progress in a course.
- Internet connection
- Browser: Internet Explorer, FireFox, Chrome, Safari, Opera or any standards compliant browser.
- Authorware and Macromedia Flash player recommended but not required.
What You Get:
You will receive Unlimited Access to all of the RPG IV Programming training tutorials listed above. Your online training courses will be available from anywhere you have internet access.This e-learning series includes all of the online training tutorials listed and is provided in an interactive, self-paced format. Retake any or all of our computer training as often as you want. Our online tutorials allow you to learn anywhere, anytime from any computer with internet access. All courses allow for 1 year unlimited access (1 user), include a variety of features and qualify for Continuing Education Unit credit.
StaffKit is a leader in providing online computer training tutorials and online education. We have customers use our online training courses in over 75 countries. StaffKit has been providing e-learning solutions for 10 years.
Web-Based Training Products:
RPG IV Programming Online Training Series
You might also be interested in our Technical Package which includes all of the RPG IV Programming training courses listed above plus hundreds of hours of related online training courses